Monday, August 3, 2009

"God Save the Queen"

The summer is flying by as expected. In less than two weeks time Matt and I will be boarding a plane to Tortola, the most populated of the 60 islands that comprise the British Virgin Islands. I am filled with mixed emotions, but mainly an anxious kind of excitement.

I've always known that I wanted to teach abroad, but the idea seemed far off until last February. Knowing I needed a change, I'd been dabbling in the ideas of grad school, teaching abroad or moving to a new, exciting city. Around this time, Matt and I got to talking in a "quaint" little Federal Hill pub known as Mad River. Partners in crime from then on, I knew I was going where he was going. We signed up for the Search Associates Program, did some research, had a couple of interviews and made some life changing decisions in less than a day. The rest is history.

A 12x3 mile Chunk of land is not exactly what i had imagined when dreaming of living abroad, but the more I thought about it, the more the idea grew on me. It will be amazing to have that little mountainous Island to call our own for the next two years. This will be a cornerstone and jumping off point to the rest of our lives and I am so excited to begin.

We are both deeply rooted in our friends and family, and I know that departing for a destination further than 3 hours from our homes will be the hardest part of this whirlwind. On the up side, I am super pumped to share our experiences with everyone. So go on, save up some cash and come on down to our beach home, (which will NOT be complete with wicker and floral pastel motif if I have anything to do with it).

No comments:

Post a Comment